By: Prof. Dr. M.K.Bhandari & Divya Pancholia
“Artificial Intelligence”- A boon or a bane. A very simple yet a very powerful thought, that would actually require lots of reading, understanding and diving deep into the past, present and the future of this very creative and powerful group of words- “Artificial Intelligence”
Let’s begin with this one example of Artificial Intelligence, actually I would now call it as AI ahead in this blog. One among the thousands and millions of examples of AI, this one has truly made our lives so safe and secure i.e Google Maps, as we are all so friendly and familiar with this one. Google Maps has brought out the explorer in every single one of us. The fear of getting lost and having to trust a stranger with the routes are all gone as each of us have our own routes and ways to go forward. Do we really know, what technology goes behind this to make it so user friendly and hassle free? Its none other than the AI, powered with data analytics and data mapping. The data gives the algorithms in AI to predict traffic and congestion and suggest best alternative routes for your work or preferred location. Now this one truly sounds to be a boon for the entire world. Isn’t it?
Do we really understand in a very simpler way what AI is? Let’s see here. Artificial Intelligence- AI, is an ability of a machine to think and learn like human. A process that emphasizes on the creation of the Intelligent machines. This process of AI involves multiple set of technologies that enables AI to be AI.
Diagrammatic representation of Artificial Intelligence: –
Today’s world is breathing AI. Every action that we perform involves AI. At different situations, different facilitators would be there to perform the process of AI. Whether we realize it or not, artificial intelligence is all around us and playing an active role in our daily lives. Every time we hold our smart phones, do a Google search, get a product recommendation from Amazon, get some amazing Pinterest ping or book a trip online, AI is lurking in the background. The breadth of the technologies applications in these major industries have proved to be a boon for the Human world. They are- Healthcare, Finance, Robotics, Travel & Transportation, E-commerce, Social Media, Marketing so on and so forth…the list is never ending.
We see AI around us in every aspect of our daily lives and everywhere in this technology flooded environment. Yes, we can relate and list out various advantages of Artificial Intelligence and its strong relationship, connect with our world. It could be numerous.
- AI would have a low error rate compared to humans, if coded properly. They would have incredible precision, accuracy, and speed.
- AI won’t be affected by hostile environments, thus able to complete dangerous tasks, explore in space, and endure problems that would injure or kill us. This can even mean mining and digging fuels that would otherwise be hostile for humans.
- AI can Replace humans in repetitive, tedious and monotonous tasks and in many laborious places of work.
- AI can do predictive analysis in every area.
- AI can detect fraud in card-based systems, and possibly other systems in the future.
- AI interacts with human for entertainment or a task as avatars or robots. An example of this is AI for playing many videogames. Robotic pets can interact with humans. Can help in curing depression and inactivity.
- AI based machines can think logically without emotions, making rational decisions with less or no mistakes.
- Can assess people. This can be for medical purposes, such as health risks and emotional state. Can simulate medical procedures and give info on side effects.
- Robotic radiosurgery, and other types of surgery in the future, can achieve precision that humans can’t.
- AI machines don’t need to sleep, rest, take breaks, or get entertained, as they don’t get bored or tired.
- A robust regulatory eco-system and AI safety network is sine qua non for exploring AI enabled services and products.
It’s said and witnessed by many of us- “All good things come with a good price” and this also proves to be true in the case of AI. Off course this incredible technology do carries some cons with it. To list a few would be: –
- AI can cost a lot of money and time to build, rebuild, and repair. Robotic repair can occur to reduce time, but that’ll cost more money and resources.
- AI based machines cannot work outside of what they are programmed for. They could never, or, at least, seemingly never with our technological perceptions, receive creativity that humans have. This can prevent sympathising with emotions for human contact.
- Robots, replacing humans and hence jobs, can lead to severe unemployment, unless if humans can fix the unemployment with jobs. AI can’t change the government to communism.
- As seen partially with smartphones and other technologies already, humans can become too dependent on AI and lose their mental capacities and abilities.
- Machines can easily lead to destruction, if put in the wrong hands.
- Abuse of AI is a matter of serious concern and challenge for technological geeks.
To sum up here, after going through the details and lots of discussion in and around us on Artificial Intelligence, a big question has aroused and that needs enough contemplation to realize: Is it ethically and morally correct to have androids, human-like robots, or recreate intelligence which is a gift of nature which shouldn’t be recreated? Hence I would like to put an end here with this thought for your mind and a beautiful and aptly said quote- “Everything we love about civilization is a product of intelligence, so amplifying our human intelligence with artificial intelligence has the potential of helping civilization flourish like never before – as long as we manage to keep the technology beneficial. “-Max Tegmark